Pre-hire Testing or Pre-hire Assessment
So what is exactly is pre-hire testing or pre-hire assessment? It is the process of using tests and questionnaires to screen candidates for job openings on a variety of factors, for instance, motivation, preferences, personality, critical thinking skills and cognitive ability.
Hiring assessments are being used more often, with as much as a 20% increase year over year. A big proportion of Fortune 500 companies are utilizing hiring assessments for executive positions, with some surveys show more than 80% of companies are doing so! They also show that smaller companies are adopting hiring assessments to evaluate candidates.
A valid and expert assessment is a good way to identify which applicants are the most qualified for a specific role, based on their strengths and preferences. Employers normally use the results to find out how well each candidate’s strengths and preferences fit the requirements of the job. Cognitive and personality assessments that are scientifically-based may improve the accuracy of both the recruitment and hiring processes.
Types of Test or Assessments
So what are the types of assessments available? Different types of tests can be administered for many different reasons. There are a few outlined below.
- Wonderlic – Wonderlic includes scientifically validated tests that screen for a variety of traits and give you that “whole person” view into your candidate. Wonderlic screens for cognitive ability; critical thinking; motivation potential; personality & integrity, and overall knowledge and skills. It’s been used in the NFL draft and also measures learning styles and how quickly you grasp concepts and make sense of them. The questions aren’t “leading,” making it a hard test to game or cheat. It’s also been a proven method for predicting job performance.
- Caliper – Caliper has been around for 50+ years and focuses mostly on personality, measuring strengths, motivations, and potential to succeed. It can give you insight into a candidate’s natural tendencies, behaviors, and preferences as well as how they interact with other people, their overall attitudes at work, and their approaches to problem solving.
- Predictive Index – Predictive Index includes workforce assessments, behavioral assessments, job assessments, and cognitive tests that provide insight into what drives your candidates, how quickly they can get up to speed, and how likely they are to adequately fill the role that is needed in your company.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator – The MBTI is perhaps one of the best known personality tests and is usually used in a psychological framework for people to better understand themselves and how they interact with and view the world. Some Fortune 100 companies have been known to use this test to hire executives.
- Plum.io – Plum.io offers pre-hire assessments that incorporate a full spectrum of behavior and intelligence. Their tests include measures of performance, problem solving, social intelligence, stability, enthusiasm, compassion, and other hard and soft skills. Plum.io’s website mentions that the test is created to be harder to “game” for a better score.
- Sixteen Personality Factor Questionnaire – The 16 Personalities test is another personality test similar to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator that tests for a person’s overall worldview and behavioral traits. It’s useful for evaluating a candidate’s interests, opinions, and typical habits.
- SHL Occupational Personality Questionnaire – This questionnaire has been around for over 30 years and gives you an idea of how certain behaviors can affect a candidate’s performance at work. The questions cover areas including people skills, thinking style, as well as feelings and emotions. There are different versions of reports for the test depending on your company’s goals.
- disc Behavior Inventory – The disc assessment tests for a candidate’s dominant traits based on four factors: Dominant (D), Influential (I), Steady (S) and Compliant (C). The test can be used to understand a candidate’s overall work behavior and ability to enhance a team. This test, however, isn’t normalized – meaning you won’t be able to compare scores between candidates.
Choosing the Right Test
When it comes to choosing the right test, there are a few factors you will want to recognize. Firstly, you will want to know what your company or hiring managers are seeking. Dependant on what team you are looking to hire for or your company’s industry, you will need a different type of test to address your varying needs. A few examples are listed below:
- A company hiring senior level executives in the technology industry, for example, may be more focused on screening candidates for cognitive ability and overall personality traits.
- A company in the food and beverage industry hiring retail associates may be more focused on screening candidates for certain behavioral factors like sociability, timeliness, and conscientiousness.
As a general rule of thumb, regardless of the type of test you choose, you should find a pre-hire assessment that is:
- Normative – Candidates scores need to be able to be compared quickly to other candidates’ scores
- Reliable – The test should be a proven predictor of job performance. If a candidate re-takes the test, they should score similarly, and these scores should be scientifically validated indicators of performance.
- Hard to Game – Answers to the test should not be able to be found online, and the test should be an accurate assessment of actual skills and behavioral traits
- Candid – The test should be designed in such a way that candidates can be screened for overall honesty. There should be no “leading” questions.
Okay, So Is There An All In One Hiring System Which Includes Pre-employment Assessments?
Yes, Newton Software has integrations with leading recruitment compliance focused partners provides built-in safety should an audit come knocking. Newton integrates with Wonscore, which is a powerfully simple for pre-employment testing. Along with Wonscore, Newton integrates with Outmatch another pre-employment testing tool that will help with your assessment needs.
As well as helping you with your pre-employment assessment needs Newton offers so much more. Newton allows you to broadcast your jobs with one click, accept job applicants online through a branded careers page, and build trust by providing an ideal candidate experience with personalized automated emails. Newton helps employers drive the decisions that drive hiring, schedule interviews, and collect feedback from your team all from intuitive dashboards that give you visibility and control across the entire hiring process. With Newton, employers can perform background checks, as mentioned above, approve, create, and send offer letters, automate the collection of tax forms, company documents, and more. Glean key insights along the way with powerful reporting.